Saturday 19 November 2011

Catharsis...

We've got a 'system' on a Saturday morning. We attempt to get the house tidy at least once a week. The girls play up, but hey it's part of growing up, so they have to do it. It quite often takes them all morning, or even sometimes all day to tidy up their rooms. It's a bit of a waste of time, but sooner or later they'll get the idea that they could do it in an hour or less I'm sure.

Anyway, today as I was sorting out the study, and was trying to find spaces for all the books, I said (as I've said several times before) to Daile, that we need another shelving unit to take the overflow. It occured to me at that now that I've decided not to be a manager any more point that it might be a good idea to lose some of the books that relate to that. (I wasn't thinking of throwing them away, but it could be an idea to sell some on eBay or give them to those people who still think they should be reading that kind of thing...)

So I started to sort through the shelves. It was really cathartic, and I realised that having these books there has been making me feel like a failure. They're all about stuff that I've finally realised I'm not able to do, nor will EVER be able to do. Accounting! Investing! Money management! Human resources management! What was I thinking of? In fact, why did I ever do an MBA at all? I can't really see how I went there now to be honest, I really can't!

Anyway, in deference to all the hours that went into it, and all the sacrifices that Daile made for me to be able to do it, I've kept all the books related to it, and quite a lot of other management books that actually have something worthwhile to say... but I've pulled out quite a few that I'm either never going to read again, or that are actually completely useless.

This is what the pile looks like! It's almost as tall as Matilda! It was like squeezing a spot to be honest! Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment