Thursday 5 January 2017

Gertrude

I recently made the decision to take the Pajero (AKA Gertrude) engine apart and repair it. It's probably not a choice that a rational person would have made, given the age of the car and the money that I ended up spending. However, it was justifiable because we all love the car, we'd recently spent 4K on the gearbox because it shat itself when we were a long way away, and because, well quite frankly I didn't imagine that there would be so much that needed to be repaired so I didn't imagine it would cost quite as much.
Never-the-less, it's done, and in time we'll forget about the cost. It should now be good for a long time....touch wood. :-)

Here's some of the bits...


This is one of the heads. There was a crack in one, and the camshafts were pitted...











This is a cam follower...also pitted.



Here's the reground crank going back into the reground case...with new oversize bearing shells...



...and here's the partially assembled engine with a ultrasonically cleaned head assy.
You can see the re-bored cylinders and new pistons. New water pump, repaired crankshaft end...and other stuff.





...dropping it back in with my new crane.

I dunno...I guess I get a perverse pleasure from this kind of thing. Makes me feel in control...

No comments:

Post a Comment