Sunday 5 February 2017

Trip to the UK 2017 - Scattering Mum and Dads ashes

I had a lovely few days up in Scarborough staying with Gill. It's always luxurious staying there...with copious soft furnishings and deep pile carpeting, and fabulous food. 

I had hired a car, but on the day, I was incapable of driving it as my bones were still not knitted! 
Luckily Joe was able to drive it with me as a passenger, and he was very tolerant of my being spaced out and napping. I was amazed at how many speed cameras there are now on the M1, and pretty much everywhere. 

This is Gill's kitchen, or part of it at least...


Nick arrived on the Saturday morning and after lunch we decided that we'd get on the with the job of scattering Mum and Dad's ashes, which was primarily the purpose of us all meeting up that weekend. 
It was a perfect day for it. It couldn't have been better really!  Lovely light, not cold, not raining...calm seas. So, off we went. Joe took his violin and played some lovely tunes about letting go, and the circle of life. It was all quite emotional for us all. I hadn't been able to make either of their funerals, so this was a particular right of passage for me, and I'd written a letter to them which I burned and scattered with them. We were all surprised at how much there actually was to scatter, but it all went. May they rest in peace. 





















2 comments:

  1. What a great way to say goodbye. I also traveled to my parents favorite spots to scatter some of their ashes, 'it's what they wanted. Being from Scotland when they requested scattering in the Florida keys I found a service from Florida that made it possible. My family got a great feeling of closure and we scattered a bit of them in all their favorite places. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciated the photos, Christopher. England looks cold! It's good to see the family again. Best wishes to you all love, donxxx

    ReplyDelete