Saturday 21 March 2009

Woolworths - Jobsworths

This is a really boring video of some of a trip from work to home, but you know, I thought I'd put it on. ONLY watch it if you've got nothing else to do. You have been warned!

At the end of it, I stop at Woolworths, which is a different entity here to the UK. What happened in Woolworths put me off my stride with finishing off the trip home movie.

They have a policy, like most of the major department stores and supermarkets of randomly selecting shoppers at the tills and asking to search their bags. I have a policy of refusing. On this occasion, I was taken on. The problem for me isn't so much the fact that they are implying that they think the person they pick on is thief, nor so much that they obviously make a value judgement based on the way I look, but the fact that having asked you if they can look inside your bag, they refuse to actually open it themselves because they're not allowed to. So I just say that they are welcome to look, but I'm not going to open it. OOOOOOh it makes me mad!

On this occasion a manager was called, I told him that I wasn't going to wait while the store decided what they were going to do about me. I said that I have nothing to hide, am sick of being treated like I'm a thief, and if they weren't going to look in the bag, I would leave. 'Are you going to look or not, cos I'm not opening it?' 'No I'm not going to look' ...So I said good day and left.

What gets me is the illogic of it. If I WERE a thief, all I'd have to do is what I do anyway, and I could walk out unsearched. So what's the point? The only people who wont object will be the people that have nothing to hide anyway!

Aaaargh!

Anyway... if you're at a loose end... press play.

No comments:

Post a Comment