Friday 5 November 2010

Thoughts...when it's quiet at night...

When I was a younger man, I felt that life was going to be good to me. I expected that I would have wealth, that I would have luck, and that I would have good things. So it was. But the shape that these things came in was a surprise. My wealth is something that seems to come from within. I am rarely impoverished in spirit, and when I am it is a temporary thing…quickly overcome. Luck is a false trickery, because you make your own. I have not taken opportunities for acquisition of money, being too stupid or perhaps too wise to see them for what they are, but I have the best kind of luck with my children, all of whom are wonderful, kind and well balanced, and I was lucky enough to find a woman who has been a basis for building their concept of worth, and reinforcing mine. The day I met her was the best bit of luck I’d had in a long time, and I had the grace to recognise it as such. The good things are not what I really had in mind either…a smile from Phoebe, a glint in the eye from Matilda, a prod in the ribs from Molly, and a hug from Josh. Not much of worth to anyone else, but priceless to a father, and a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment