Sunday 18 May 2008

More about grass...

I didn't want to overdo the green grass thing, but I had wanted to get you a picture to illustrate. Today I went over to the house to do the last of the painting. I am, as they say here, 'over it' in regard to the house painting thing. It's been dragging on for weeks. Glad to finish.

I was planning the ceremonial last watering later, but the sky clouded over, and did it for me. This is the first rain for quite a few weeks now, and you can see how badly its needed.



I mentioned yesterday that we'd put a lot of soil under this little bit of turf. The reason was that the next door house had, until recently been dropping all its run off across what would have otherwise been our 'lawn'. They had something like 15m2 of soil dropped onto their yard to improve the slope, and bordered it with a low timber wall prior to the fence. I asked if I could see what went on behind that fence a couple of weeks ago, and it looked like it would still leak out the end to me. So it was good to be there when this rain happened...to see this:



Not THAT bad, but it would have an affect after a LOT of rain no doubt. Thing is this ground, like most of the ground round these parts is like rock. Its clay, and its drizabone - so anything that rains on it slides right off, and heads down the drain.

Consequently, planting these Lillypilly's was backbreaking work! ...so I left it to Daile and Bernadette! He he.





Funny thing about little dogs, (changing the subject) is how highly strung they get. Even the super cool Mont[ster] is totally freaked out by thunder. Actually, so is Matilda... well not totally, but she does get worried by it. So it was a brave thing that she did when she offered Mont to go into my truck during the storm...and got soaked doing it. (They'd come over to 'help' me paint) Here you can just see him... shaking...and making my seat wet.



Here's a more typical pose:

No comments:

Post a Comment