Sunday 28 December 2008

Robbin' an' Smerkin'

I must be getting old, because I made a comment to some kids that I saw nicking handfulls of grapes in the supermarket a couple of days ago. Their dad noticed and asked them what was going on. I explained that I'd seen them take grapes (twice). He told me to mind my own business.
Now I know that it wasn't strictly any of my business and that it was 'only' grapes. But there's a funny thing going on here. Probably, you have pinched a grape yourself as you pass on by that shelf in your own supermarket? I have. Daile says she has. But would you take money directly? No.
So I wondered if I'd been rude by saying something. I extricated myself, and carried on with my shopping. But I festered on it for hours. Does the fact that we are prepared to help ourselves to grapes mean that we are prepared to steal other stuff? At what point (if ever) should you say something?

I discovered today that Josh has got a nose stud like Molly. Funny this because he was so very deprecating of her intention to get one when she we was trying to put a case to me for letting her get one last year.



He's now insisting that he won't be getting a tattoo. I do hope that he does better with THAT resolve. I know its just me being old (again) but it does all seem a bit permanent and dare I say it, pointless. The question, as with the theft is; does one piercing lead to this (below)? No.. probably not.



Guess what else? Having persuaded me to give up smoking in 2000, for which I'm 'internally' grateful, both Josh and Molly now smoke! I wonder if the smoke tarnishes the metal when they breath out through their noses?

Funny ol' world innit? We have relative values. All our values are relative. We will allow ourselves to nick something like grapes or pencils from Ikea, but we wouldn't nick the cash. We can justify sticking a pin through our ear lobe, but not nipples, testicles or whatever the hell else 'weird people' pierce. We'll eat a pigs kidneys or even its trotters, but not its eyes. Soldiers can shoot people, but not shoot pictures of the carnage.

I must be getting old - yeah that must be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment