Saturday 3 July 2010

Shortbread comes up trumps

This Saturday arvo (as they say in Oz) the girls had Tara over. Daile was out at work. Matilda came into the garage and told me that they were trying to think of something they could do to make some money. She had several ideas, and one of them was to make some shortbread biscuits and sell them down near the shops. I said that would be OK so the three of them set about making a super large batch and took turns with the various jobs. They opted for simple star shapes, and ended up with about 30.

Phoebe made some little flag like posters to go on some long clamps I have that we clamped onto Tara's wooden kart that I made. It looked quite good. Sadly, it wasn't until we got to the shops and they were standing behind the kart, biscuits laid out attractively on three plates on the kart seat, and sprinkled with icing sugar, that I suddenly realised I'd left the camera.

They just looked sheepish at first, it was so sweet... and then I suggested that they call out their wares. They started calling out 'shortbread biscuits... 50c'. Bless, they looked incredibly cute.

It was a BIG success! They were getting lots of smiles, and within a very short time, perhaps half an hour, they'd sold out! Some people just gave them money, and some people over paid.. most of them smiled at me.. (I was just sitting against a barrier a little way away from them). The thing that was most brilliant about it was that they were not only selling their biscuits, but they were also making everyone happy!

They sold the last ones and went back to the car... deciding that we should go to get a MacDonald's, partially to celebrate and partially for me to avoid the cooking later. They were thrilled and we had a count up of the takings whilst we were digging into our happy meals. They made $26! Given that the biscuits were 50c each, that was $11 more than they should have made... I'm sure Sir Alan Sugar would have been impressed.

I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment