Sunday 6 December 2015

Abbey Medieval Festival

In Mid July, we went to the 'Abbey Medieval Festival' in Caboolture.  This is a great day out, with lots to see and think about. It's a bit odd...frankly to think about all these people dressing up and pretending to live in bygone ages, but it's actually lovely when you're there and you get swept up in it...









I found myself thinking quite a bit about how dependent we've become on packaged convenience things...that we have all lost the ability to survive in 'raw' conditions.  
But I was also charmed by the idea that people did activities that were more collective...like dancing for example.  
There was a group of women and girls that formed a dance troupe, doing gypsy style dancing that would apparently have been typical in southern Europe.  








The trouble with iPhone photography outside is that when the sun is on the screen or behind it, you're almost shooting blind... so getting these exposed correctly was a bit hit and miss. I took loads that were blurred or overexposed.  

I did a painting from combining two pictures.  It was an attempt to interplay the warm and friendly look of the girl with the suspicious look of her mother! (What could she be worried about...just fat ol' me snapping away?)










I also took what I thought was a promising picture of Phoebe in her one dollar hat with the sun making patterns on her face.  I thought I'd give it a go. Here's the photo...



and here's the painting:


The painting ended up being a finalist in this year's Clifton painting competition.




No comments:

Post a Comment