Friday 25 April 2008

In memory of Walter Martin

Today is ANZAC day which stands for 'Australian and New Zealand Army Corps'. It's a national holiday. The country is out on the streets in an impressive act of remembrance.

We went to a remembrance wreath laying ceremony this morning at 4.30 AM. Matilda had been made aware of this by her school, and has been learning about the 'Diggers' as the infantry were called in the first world war (and still are called) here.

There was a surprising number of people gathered around the little monument in Goodna, a small suburb next to ours. There were young and old, pretty much as we see at the Armistice parades in the UK, and whilst it was very respectful, it was much more relaxed, as most things are here.



It's 93 years since the battles at Gallipoli in 1915, but it is remembered with emotion and pride here, and the names of the fallen were read out by a member of the local RSL (Returned Services League). There were no surviving members of those actions, the first time since it has been commemorated here.

Popular 'memory' of the Western front (Palestine) tends towards an appreciation of the waste of lives, the mud, the unrelenting horror, and the blithe condemnation of thousands of men to their deaths by priggish generals safely beyond the range of enemy guns. Particularly, people talk of Lone Pine, a trench based battle in which Australian and New Zealand troops sustained the loss of more than 2,000 men in five days. The Turks lost over 6,000, and the bodies of both sides littered the open ground and trenches so that it was impossible to move through the trenches without treading on bodies, sometimes several men deep. The only respect that could be paid to them was to avoid treading on their faces.





However, notable to me was the fact that whilst the first and second world wars were mentioned, nothing was said of subsequent Australian military involvements, surprising since their tenure in Vietnam was the longest in their military history. Perhaps it's because the loss of life by comparison was mild. The total body count over the 10 years of the conflict was 500.

The reason that I noticed this in particular was that one of the men where I work was explaining to me why he'd not been into work for a couple of days. He explained that he was having to see a psychiatrist - and that it was to do with Vietnam. I didn't want to pry, but sensing that he needed to explain further, I asked him a little about his role. He was moved to tears, and I very nearly was myself. He's a gentle and warm man, weary with life, and obviously fighting a difficult internal battle. One can only imagine what he's been through. He mentioned that he's unable to face ANZAC day, and it is a day indoors with the TV off for him. He can't stand the sycophantic presenters.



And in another military link this week, I interviewed a Pom for the role of Project Manager. He's been 23 years in the Welsh Guards. He had a pretty stellar career, ending as a Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM). I was concerned that he might be too institutionalised. I thought that he might find it difficult to handle the casual labour that we use, particularly the fact that it's difficult to get any 'traction' with them if you're wanting them to do difficult or unpleasant tasks. However, he was very impressive. Most of the questions that I've asked of other candidates were irrelevant, in-as-far-as i would have felt churlish to ask them. He carried himself with such presence, and had such obvious maturity, that I have him at the top of my list. He doesn't tick many of the boxes that I'd set up in terms of 'actual event and exhibition installation and management' experience, but he's head and shoulders above everyone else I've seen for BALANCE. I'll be honest, we tend to have a fixed view of the military these days, and its more often a negative view. This man was quiet, introspective, warm, and 'complete'.

So all in, its been a bit of a military week, and I'm dedicating this entry to the memory of my paternal Grandfather Walter Martin- also an RSM - and a man of distinction. I didn't know him all that well because I was too young, but I wish I had, and I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment