Friday 14 December 2007

Signed a contract today...

You may have wondered why I've not mentioned anything about the tribulations of my job with Moreton Hire.
Well it all went a bit ODD:
I was supposed to be getting project management work to keep me busy (ish) until after Christmas, when I was going to be starting with some new as yet uncreated appointment. The PM work didn't really materialise, and then the job didn't either. All a bit confusing!
However, I got a mail from the General manager to tell me that the guy that I'd been speaking to about all that was 'no longer with us', and would I be interested in HIS job? I went along again, and had another 3 interviews, and finally got it today. Now I have signed a contract, and have a proper start date of 14th of Jan. The job is 'Field Operations Manager', and entails being responsible for all the project managers and field supervisors, and ensuring that they all make lots of money.
In the meantime... I'm fixed up to make a landscape set for Channel 7 for a different company, and this is coming along nicely as a design, awaiting sign off.

All this has been quite frustrating really, and not knowing what was going to happen makes you feel worried. The whole 'management job' thing is obviously new to me in as-far-as I've not had to actually 'pursue' one formally before, and on top of that, the Aussie way of doing things is different too. I'm glad that its come off. I'm a bit worried about the demise of my predecessor cos he was moved on for not keeping properly in touch with his direct reports. I'm not really concerned that I'd have a problem with that aspect of the job, but just that he was moved on, seemingly in a fairly brusque manner. That said, I'm not in a position to be choosy, so I'll have to just hope that I don't fall foul. This, is a 'proper' job, in which you have to do what you say you can do...and although I'm used to thinking on my feet in the work I've been doing in the UK, there's an element of bluff in SFX, that you can sort later if you're competent. Its the same I assume in this role, but the bluff feels more comprehensive....if you know what I mean!

Anyway, all good, and a relief to get that sorted out. Now I can think about the house again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris - found the blog! Great news about the job - speak soon.

    Sian and I are thinking of getting a Gower Seafood blog going for 2008

    We will be having some of the Lobsters and prawns I caught over the Summer on Christmas Eve.

    Speak soon,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete