Thursday 31 January 2008

Rare bird

There's a type of bird that the Australians call the 'lampost'. I'm not entirely sure of its scientific name but it something like that. Its quite a big bird, with a long neck and thin tubular body, which is where it gets the name.

Another thing that is distinctive thing about them is that they are normally a very solitary bird, spending long periods of time standing motionless by themselves. They tend to stand in places that humans would never stand in, and are as a result, almost un-noticed by people.

So there I am, driving to work one day, when I saw a whole flock of them together....and as luck would have it, I had my camera on the passenger seat.

So here's a very rare pic of a flock of lamposts!



The reason that I had my camera to hand was that I wanted to try and give you some impression of the trucks that I was talking about earlier....

Here's a typical one going past and the second picture gives you an idea of how trapped you feel, even though in this pic, there's not a concrete wall on either side as there is in Goodna near to where we live...





Notice that its pulling a trailer. Often you get a 40ft trailer pulling another one. Out 'woop woop' you get what they call 'land trains' which have 3 trailers!!! I've not met one of those yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment